Github repo confusion

Last week, I accidentally cloned down the wrong repo from GitHub. Whoops! I forked the repo for one of our class assignments, but I grabbed the URL for the MakerSquare repo, not mine. Fortunately, there was Google to the rescue!

Turns out, this is actually a little bit easy, though I read through the first 5 or so google search results before I did anything. This blog post was the most helpful because the commands were explained very nicely. It probably also helped that it was the 4th or so thing I read, so I was beginning to understand what I needed to do.

I did the following:

1. Check the current remote to make sure it is actually what I think it is

git origin -v

2. Remove the current origin

git remote rm origin

3. Add the new (correct!) origin

git remote add origin https://github.com/my_username/correct_repo.git

And tah-dah! All fixed! And in even nicer news, there is actually an even easier way of doing this that might be newer than said blog post. On GitHub Help, there is some information about using

git remote set-url

to do the same thing as the above step 3 and allows you to skip step 2 entirely.

Since this was an early mistake in a very simple single-branch repo, I didn’t have to take any other steps to make sure the HEAD was in the right spot or that any changes were correctly synced.

Leave a Reply